whatidoWhat I LikeWritingSimple Living

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cheap Gourmet: Lemon Garlic Marinated Black Olives



I love olives, but they aren't the cheapest things around -- and I am. And while I've been known to eat black olives straight out of the can, I wanted something a little fancier for a tapas-style dinner.


Black olives sometimes seem to be the ugly stepsisters of the olive world, relegated to top pizzas or serve as a garnish that never gets eaten. And, that's a shame, because they're easy to dress up for a ball, even if they won't steal Cinderella's limelight. They're also cheap. I got a can of jumbo, store-brand black olives for $1.49. The fancy olives were $4 to $5 more per jar. Not cheap.

Ingredients

1 can jumbo black olives
1 lemon (I used a Meyer lemon, but other kinds are fine)
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

Drain the olives. Chop the garlic. Zest the entire lemon. Squeeze all the juice out of the lemon. Add the olives, garlic, zest, lemon juice and olive oil to a bowl. Mix well and transfer to a plastic container with a tight lid, or a plastic bag that closes tightly. Let sit for 3 hours and give the container or bag a shake every 1/2 hour to distribute the marinade. You can marinate them longer, or to taste. The longer they sit, the stronger the lemon flavor will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment