whatidoWhat I LikeWritingSimple Living

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

More Handmade Bookmarks



The last time I posted about bookmarks I noted that, "Bookmarks hang out on my shelves just waiting for their next transient relationship with a book. I'm kind of a literary pimp." Well, apparently the bookmarks weren't happy about that because I can't find them. Any of them. They must have taken up permanent residence with books, and since I have nearly a thousand I'm just not going to take the time to search for them. Besides, do I really want to break up a happy couple? Nope. Not me. So my only good choice was to make more.


The thing is, it needed to be a very fast and easy project. My big writing projects are done and I need to spend time drumming up more work. Not to mention that I could be writing articles I'm guaranteed payment for. It's hard to justify hours of crafting time.

I did this project with scraps of card stock, fancy hole punches, a glue stick, black jewelry cord, blue yarn, beads, a paper scrap and self-stick laminating sheets. I used my paper cutter, but scissors work fine. You don't need to laminate the bookmarks, but they tend to last longer if you do. Unless they run away from home, that is. Let's start with the hole punched bookmarks. The beauty of this kind of design is that it doesn't take much time to do or any design talent. Right up my alley. Using two pieces of card stock means you'll end up with a double-sided bookmark.

 Materials


 Start punching. Use the paper cutouts on the other side of the bookmark.


 Use another scrap of card stock to punch out a design and glue that scrap on your card stock


Closeup.













If you don't have any fancy hole punches, use a plain hole punch and make polka dot bookmarks, or just use scissors. Glue on a little paper scrap and you're done.

A tip on braiding. Use two pieces of yard, cord or whatever, slip ends through hole so you end up with 4 strands to work with. To braid, put the outside left piece over one piece to the right as you would with normal 3 strand braiding. Then take the outside right piece and put it over 2 strands to the left. Keep repeating that for an easy 4 strand braid.







No comments:

Post a Comment