whatidoWhat I LikeWritingSimple Living

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Potato-Onion Frittata

I am not a chef. This is not a foodie blog. This is not a recipe blog.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, you should know I'm a dull knife wielding, slap-dash home cook who rarely bothers to measure anything. I read cookbooks all the way through like they are novels, put them on a shelf and go do my thing in the kitchen.

And now that that is out of the way, you should also know I do measure my success in the kitchen by how little money it took to make a meal and how much of the meal my finicky, foodie daughter eats. My son is 17. He eats everything.


My 19 year old daughter is very picky about eggs. She can make beautiful poached eggs, but doesn't much care for quiche. She will eat my potato-onion frittata.



This dish is very, very similar to the Spanish dish, tortilla de patatas. That's no accident. I have enough of those in the kitchen, I don't need more. I first discovered the Spanish tortilla at the now defunct Seattle tapas restaurant, Txori. Then I found a complete recipe and how-to on Fine Cooking. It looked fabulous, but a little too fussy for me. I like to cook but don't like to spend too much time doing it. Hello. I could be spending that time on the internet.

So here's my lazy, dull knife take on tortilla de patatas. Follow the recipe on Fine Cooking but use a cast iron skillet. Nothing sticks to my well seasoned cast iron skillet. Don't bother taking the potatoes and onions out of the skillet when they're tender, just add in the beaten eggs. When the edges are dry and the middle is bubbling, put the skillet in the oven under the broiler until the top is golden brown. Bingo. Make a salad and there you have a fast, inexpensive dinner even a picky, teenage foodie will enjoy.

And by the way, that dish, with salad, cost me around $5 and it fed 4 people (there are always extra teens hanging around the place), with a leftover slice for my lunch the next day. And the eggs were organic. I call that a success.


3 comments:

  1. I know it's dunderheaded to ask this question, under the circumstances, but . . . is it that your knife won't stay sharp, or that you can't be bothered to sharpen it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. both

    I used to have a sharpener and used it, but the blade would get dull again, and now the sharpener has been lost for some time and I haven't done anything about that - I figure until a butter knife is sharper than my chef's knife, I'm good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious! It's nice to find someone who doesn't religiously sharpen their knives too. It makes me feel pretty normal.

    ReplyDelete