whatidoWhat I LikeWritingSimple Living

Monday, January 2, 2012

Silver and Amethyst Necklace

It seems ridiculous to be broke and yet be in possession of sterling silver chain and amethysts, but this comes of being something of a pack rat. I've been making jewelry for many years and have collected many supplies. This is the first and only piece I made in 2011, however, and I waited until the end of the year to do so. 2012 will be more productive. Really. Seriously. I mean it.

Several years ago, someone commissioned me to make a necklace with amethysts - her favorite semi-precious stone in her favorite color - and I still have a few left over. Perfect for a gift for my daughter, who has a lovely, petite neck with fair skin, designed to set off a delicate necklace.




It was a very simple piece to make: Two lengths of different sterling silver chain, 3 jump rings, a clasp and a teardrop amethyst with sterling silver wire to make it into a drop pendant. The entire project took about 15 minutes, but the result is simple and elegant, I think. My daughter thinks so too, and that's what really counts. The necklace was a gift for her 21st birthday just a few days before Christmas. I won't go into what it feels like to have a 21 year old child. I can't. I can barely see through my tears just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment